2022 FINA WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
Day 4 of the 2022 World Championships is right here, the midway mark of the meet. It should function the ladies’s 50 again, males’s 100 free, males’s 200 IM, and girls’s 200 fly.
One of the vital thrilling races of the session would be the males’s 100 freestyle. Tokyo Olympic champion Caeleb Dressel is the highest seed and he has been having a powerful meet thus far, profitable gold within the 50 fly Sunday. However look out for Romanian teenage phenom David Popovicithe 2nd seed, who gained gold within the 200 free yesterday with a world junior record-setting time. He touched the wall with a full one-second lead over the sphere in that race.
The ladies’s 200 fly is led by Tokyo Olympic champion Zhang Yufei of China who simply gained bronze within the 100 fly. Individuals Regan Smith and Hali Flickinger spherical out the highest three seeds adopted by Japan’s China Hayashi and 2019 World champion Boglarka Kapas of Hungary. Smith could have a double-swim at the moment, beginning off the session because the fifth seed within the girls’s 50 again. This would be the first particular person race of the meet for Flickinger, Hayashi, and Kapas.
We’ll finish the session with heats of the combined 4 × 100 medley relays the place Nice Britain holds the world report from their efficiency on the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
Ladies’s 50 Backstroke
- World Document: 26.98, Liu Xiang (CHN) – 2018 Asian Video games
- Championship Document: 27.06, Zhao Jing (CHN) – 2009 World Championships
- 2021 Olympic Champion: n / a
- 2019 World Champion: Olivia Smoliga (USA), 27.33
Prime 16 Qualifiers
- Kylie Masse (CAN) – 27.26
- Katharine Berkoff (USA) – 27.49
- Ingrid Wilm (CAN) – 27.55
- Regan Smith (USA) – 27.70
- Analia Pigree (FRA) – 27.75
- Medi Eira Harris (GBR) – 27.83
- Silvia Scalia (ITA) – 27.86
- Kaylee McKeown (AUS) – 27.94
- Jie Chen (CHN) – 27.95
- Maaike de Waard (NED) – 28.04
- Mimosa Jallow (FIN) – 28.06
- Theodora Drakou (GRE) – 28.12
- Kira Toussaint (NED) – 28.17
- Simona Kubova (CZE) – 28.37
- Eunji Lee (KOR) – 28.38
- Paulina Peda (POL) – 28.47
This race gave Canada some critical momentum this morning, launching Tokyo Olympic silver medalist within the 100 again Kylie Masse into the highest semifinals spot and her teammate Ingrid Wilm in third. In warmth 4, Masse got here inside .08 of her entry time whereas Wilm took .08 off hers.
USA’s Katharine Berkoff barreled down the pool to a time inside .37 of the lifetime greatest time she posted on the US Trials in April. Regan Smith, who gained bronze within the 100 again in Tokyo, began her busy morning off sturdy with a 4th place end. She nonetheless has the 200 fly later.
Notably, the Netherlands Kira Toussaint, who positioned eighth on this occasion on the 2019 World Championships, squeaked into the semifinals in thirteenth place. Sweden’s Louise Hanssonwho gained bronze on this occasion on the 2021 World Quick Course Championships lately, completed in twenty first place and missed the semi’s.
Males’s 100 Freestyle
- World Document: 46.91, Cesar Cielo (BRA) – 2009 World Championships
- Championship Document: 46.91, Cesar Cesar (BRA) – 2009 World Championships
- 2021 Olympic Champion: Caeleb Dressel (USA), 47.02
- 2019 World Champion: Caeleb Dressel (USA), 46.96
Prime 16 Qualifiers
- David Popovici (ROU) – 47.60
- Caeleb Dressel (USA) – 47.95
- Andrej Barna (SRB) – 48.15
- Joshua Liendo Edwards (CAN) – 48.16
- Maxime Grousset (FRA) – 48.17
- Zhanie Pan (CHN) – 48.19
- Jacob Henry Whittle (GBR) – 48.23
- Lorenzo Zazzeri (ITA) – 48.29
- Nandor Nemeth (HUN) – 48.33
- Brooks Curry (USA) – 48.38
- Mikel Schreuders (ARU) – / Dylan Carter (TTO) – 48.40
- Szebasztian Szabo (HUN) – 48.47
- Lewis Edward Burras (GBR) / Ruslan Gaziev (CAN) – 48.49
- Alessandro Miressi (ITA) – 48.51
And David Popovici does it once more! Coming off his 200 free win lower than 24 hours in the past, the Romanian 17-year-old swam the quickest prelims trip of the center of warmth 10 with Andrej Barna shut behind in lane three. Popovici got here inside .30 of his entry time so he should have extra within the tank for the semi’s. His back-half velocity is what set him aside as he break up the race 23.03 / 24.57. He was the quickest of the three swimmers who break up the ultimate 50 meters underneath 25.00.
Caeleb Dressel was in warmth 11, racing France’s Maxime Grousset. This swim was one second off the time it took him to win this race in 2019 which continues to be his lifetime greatest time. He didn’t break 47.00 to win gold on the Tokyo Olympics and has been swimming low-47’s on this occasion for the reason that 2017 World Championships the place he gained gold with a 47.17.
Notably, Mikel Schreuders cracked the Aruban nationwide report whereas Dylan Carter broke the Trinidad and Tobago Nationwide report. They tied one another for eleventh place regardless of swimming in several heats. Schreuders beat his personal report from the 2019 Pan American Video games by .68, placing the report under 49.00 for the primary time. Carter additionally broke his personal report from the 2019 World Championships the place he positioned twelfth by .12. This swim is a large enchancment for Schreuders who missed the semi’s at this meet in 2019 after putting thirty fifth.
Andrej Barna was constant along with his entry time, about .11 off it, to earn a top-3 spot going into the semifinals. Josh Liendo stored the ball rolling for Canada. He truly had the quickest 50 meter break up within the area (22.76) whereas Barna break up a 22.86 and Dressel break up a 22.84.
Males’s 200 Particular person Medley
- World Document: 1: 54.00, Ryan Lochte (USA) – 2011 World Championships
- Championship Document: 1: 54.00, Ryan Lochte (USA) – 2011 World Championships
- 2021 Olympic Champion: Wang Shun (CHN), 1: 55.00
- 2019 World Champion: Daiya Seto (JPN), 1: 56.14
Prime 16 Qualifiers
- Carson Foster (USA) – 1: 57.94
- Chase Kalisz (USA) – 1: 58.25
- Jeremy Desplanches (SUI) / Daiya Seto (JPN) – 1: 58.29
- Ron Polonsky (ISR) – 1: 58.31
- Hubert Kos (HUN) – 1: 58.47
- Matthew Sates (RSA) – 1: 58.61
- Leon Marchand (FRA) / Alberto Razzetti (ITA) – 1: 58.70
- Lewis Clareburt (NZL) – 1: 58.76
- Gal Cohen Groumi (ISR) – 1: 59.34
- Se-Bom Lee (AUS) – 1: 59.37
- Dominik Torok (HUN) – 1: 59.41
- Tom Dean (GBR) – 1: 59.44
- Wang Shun (CHN) – 1: 59.51
- Hugo Gonzalez (ESP) – 1: 59.53
The Individuals crushed the prelims of this race, regardless of being a little bit off their entry occasions. 20-year-old Carson Foster swam a lifetime greatest time of 1: 56.65 to qualify for this meet on the US Trials in April whereas Chase Kalisz has damaged 1: 57.00 earlier than. Kalisz has made the World Championship podium on this occasion twice already (profitable gold in 2017 and bronze in 2019).
Foster’s power was on the butterfly and backstroke the place he break up 24.95 / 29.14 in comparison with Kalisz’s 25.61 / 29.86. However then Kalisz did what he does greatest, catch everybody on the breaststroke and freestyle. He break up 33.65 / 29.13 in comparison with Foster’s 34.36. / 29.49.
Tokyo Olympic gold medalist Wang Shun completed in fifteenth place, sneaking into the semifinals in a decrease spot than anticipated. He was in the course of warmth 5, flanked by Japan’s Daiya Seto and France’s Leon Marchand who went off this morning. 20-year-old Marchand (who gained the 400 IM on Saturday) had one of many quickest butterfly splits within the area – 24.99 in comparison with Seto’s 25.21. However defending world champion Seto made up for misplaced floor within the center. Jeremy Desplancheswho gained bronze on this occasion in Tokyo, tied for third going into the semifinals with Seto out of warmth 4.
Be careful for South Africa’s Matt Sates within the semifinals. He had the quickest ending velocity by far, closing out the race with a 50 free break up of 27.81 as the one swimmer to complete the race in underneath 28 seconds.
Ladies’s 200 Butterfly
- World Document: 2: 01.81, Liu Zige (CHN) – 2009 Chinese language Nationwide Video games
- Championship Document: 2: 03.41, Jess Jess (AUS) – 2009 World Championships
- 2021 Olympic Champion: Zhang Yufei (CHN), 2: 03.86
- 2019 World Champion: Boglarka Kapas (HUN), 2: 06.78
- Summer season McIntosh (CAN) – 2: 07.26
- Hali Flickinger (USA) – 2: 07.31
- China Hayashi (JPN) – 2: 08.63
- Elizabeth Dekkers (AUS) – 2: 08.98
- Regan Smith (USA) – 2: 09.02
- Zhang Yufei (CHN) – 2: 09.21
- Boglarka Kapas (HUN) / Helena Bach (DEN) – 2: 09.24
- Maria Jose Mata Cocco (MEX) – 2: 09.32
- Laura Stephens (GBR) – 2: 10.07
- Abbey Lee Connor (AUS) – 2: 10.10
- Lana Pudar (BIH) – 2: 10.20
- Jiaming Zhu (CHN) – 2: 11.20
- Katinka Hosszu (HUN) – 2: 11.22
- Leah Polonsky (ISR) – 2: 11.40
- Chiho Mizuguchi (JPN) – 2: 11.65
Warmth one was the quickest warmth of this occasion the place Canada’s Summer season McIntosh beat her entry time by one-third of a second to safe the highest spot going into the semifinals. McIntosh and USA’s Hali Flickinger dueled in the course of the pool in that warmth with McIntosh taking out the race in a blistering 50 break up of 28.43 in comparison with Flickinger’s 28.80. Whereas Flickinger steadily ate away on the younger Canadian lead, that preliminary 50 break up gave McIntosh what proved to be an insurmountable lead though Flickinger completed the race .10 sooner than her with a closing 50 break up of 33.65.
Additionally in warmth one, Maria Jose Mata Cocco broke her personal Mexican nationwide report by .14. She set the earlier mark in Could 2021 at an Olympic qualifying meet.
Olympic gold medalist Zhang Yufei positioned sixth total, about 5 seconds off her entry time. She went out sturdy as ordinary in 1: 00.09 (the quickest first 100 break up within the area) however she struggled a bit on the again half and completed in 1: 09.12. Yufei is coming off a bronze medal win within the 100 fly earlier on this meet. Japan’s China Hayashi gained Yufei’s warmth with constant splits, however she completed about two seconds off her entry time.
Regan Smith and Flickinger rounded out the Tokyo Olympic podium on this occasion in 2nd and third place with lifetime greatest occasions of two: 05.30 and a couple of: 05.65, respectively. They may possible give 15-year-old McIntosh a better race within the semifinals.
Combined 4 × 100 Medley Relay
- World Document: 3: 37.58, Nice Britain – 2021 Tokyo Olympics
- Championship Document: 3: 38.56, United States – 2017 World Championships
- 2021 Olympic Champion: Nice Britain, 3: 37.58
- 2019 World Champion: Australia, 3: 39.08
Prime 8 Qualifiers
- USA (Ryan Murphy/Lilly King/Michael Andrew/Erika Brown) – 3: 43.16
- NED (Kira Toussaint/Arno Kamminga/Nyls Korstanje/Marrit Steenbergen) – 3: 43.48
- GBR (Medi Eira Harris /James Wilby/Jacob Peters/Anna Hopkin) – 3: 43.64
- AUS (Isaac Alan Cooper / Matthew Wilson / Brianna Throssell / Meg Harris) – 3: 44.58
- CHN (Jiayu Xu / Jingyao Yu / Changhao Wang / Yujie Cheng) – 3: 44.92
- JPN (Ryosuke Irie / Reona Aoki / Naoki Mizunuma / Rika Omoto) – 3: 45.08
- ITA (Michele Lamberti / Arianna Castiglioni / Elena di Liddo / Manuel Frigo) – 3: 46.44
- GER (Ole Braunschweig / Anna Elendt / Angelina Kohler / Jan Eric Friese) – 3: 46.54
Warmth 4 was a detailed race between the US and Nice Britain. USA’s Ryan Murphy received the US off to an early lead with a 100 again break up of 52.40 and handed it off to Lilly King who swam a 1: 06.79 100 breast. Michael Andrew took cost on the butterfly (50.69) whereas Erika Brown completed the race in 53.28.
Nice Britain was additionally in warmth 4 the place Medi Eira Harris swam the backstroke leg in 1: 00.09. Then, Wilby was capable of run down Lilly King with a 58.94 breaststroke break up however Andrew’s butterfly leg was .4 sooner than Peters’ 51.49. Hopkin closed the race barely sooner than Brown in a time of 53.12.
However the semifinals might be a good nearer battle as a result of the Netherlands got here inside .28 of the US’ time in warmth three. Their staff of Toussaint (1: 00.45), Kamminga (58.70), Korstanje (51.12), and Steenbergen (53.21) would have caught the US after the breaststroke and would have been neck-and-neck with them till the tip.